Blackstone, Virginia: The town of William Blackstone
Southside Virginia is rich in history. Most notably, our area stands in the middle of several Civil War trails, which are described below.
- Virginia United Methodist Assembly Center- VUMAC is an all-weather assembly facility open year-round to church groups, denominational groups, religious groups, civic groups, and other service organizations for meetings, retreat, training and conferences. Formerly the Blackstone College for Girls, the Assembly Center has been in operation since 1955. Locals include VUMAC in their daily walks to enjoy the peaceful setting and the beautiful rose garden.
- The Gables - located on the VUMAC property, this lovely restored Antebellum building is available also for events.
- Historical Markers- don't miss the many historical markers in town, describing noteworthy events in our community's past.
- Lee's Retreat- A 26-stop driving tour, through seven counties connecting Petersburg to Appomattox, follows the route of General Lee's Retreat at the end of the Civil War. For more information regarding accommodations and other points of interest, please call: 1-800-6-RETREAT. Or write: Virginia's Retreat, PO Box 2107, Petersburg, VA 23804
- Virginia Civil War Trails- Features the well-known and less familiar sites associated with America's greatest drama. More than 200 places tell the rich story. For more information, call: 1-888-CIVIL WAR. Or write: Virginia Civil War Trails, 50 East Marshall St, Richmond, VA 23219
- Virginia's Retreat for Trail Lovers- Nestled in the heart of Virginia's Piedmont region, Virginia's Retreat offers miles of hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails. A guide to the trails and State Parks affiliated with Virginia's Retreat is available by calling: 1-800-6-RETREAT. Or write: Virginia's Retreat, PO Box 2107, Petersburg, VA 23804
Our Address: 412 South Main St, Blackstone, VA 24824